Friday, November 4, 2016

Time Lapse of Fall

Here's the series of photos I took of one tree on the mountain this fall.
September 18th - just a hint of color at the top and one branch midway.  Other trees were showing more color on this date; but this one has just started.

September 21st - the color is starting to 'pop' now and you can see it progressing on the trees behind it also.

September 25th - the whole tree is colored now, only a slight hint of green shows.  Almost at it's peak color.

First of October and it has hit the peak of it's color.   How beautiful.

By the 10th of October, most of the leaves have blown off.

And it's threatening to snow.


Which it did.   In fact it started snowing so heavy we thought it best to go down the mountain!

By the 29th of October not a leaf remains.  The tree is dormant awaiting winter.

So from the time the color started it was a mere week and a half to the peak and only another 10 days till the tree was mostly bare.   Short time indeed even in good weather conditions.  No wonder I've always thought Fall was a quick season in Wyoming.

I had my niece with me the day it snowed and before it started snowing heavy we took an excursion down Strube Loop since it was apparent the weather was not going to cooperate with us for our painting plans.

It's at a slightly lower elevation and on the other side of the mountain.  Strube Loop still had some color and it was nice drive of about 2 miles around the Loop.   We enjoyed it.


I took a ton of pictures of the Aspen this year.  Both of these are from the Peak of the color.  Quaking Aspen are interesting trees that spread from their roots.   You are actually looking at ONE tree in each photo.   A healthy Aspen grove cannot be looked through as there are many new shoots coming up.  I think our activity has supressed that in our Aspens so they are not reproducing as they should.           

Next up - a special day  for  Grandpa and our grandson on the ranch.

Happy Fall Y'ALL








3 comments:

  1. Very good of you to post the time lapse photos. I had forgotten about the Aspens spreading by root. My high school friend, who married a Wyoming man, first told me about the Aspens and also what determined their color change. That color change is all too brief.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember you posting about your friend Lynn. I am sure you've seen your share of golden aspens visiting her near Pinedale. Thanks for reading my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's a neat idea!

    It seems so odd to have had the temperature back to summer like this past week. I'm hoping it returns to cooler weather soon, I like the Fall.

    ReplyDelete