Thursday, May 28, 2009

OF MICE AND MEN


Because we live in rural Wyoming, we have a lot of 'critters' including snakes and mice. As a mouse control deterrent ten years we got a Siamese mix cat, Smudgie. Smudgie has done fairly well catching a number of mice over the years but she has a really irritating habit of playing with a mouse for a long time before killing it.

BOB with a Mouse in his mouth

It worked okay until the last few years as the cat has aged. Now sometimes she 'loses' her prey and cannot catch it again. Which is very irritating.

Two nights ago at 2 a.m. I was jerked out of a sound sleep by the spectacle of my husband of 35 years screaming at the top of his lungs BLIPPETY BEEP BLIP YOU SMUDGIE and whaling on the bed with the handle end of a large screwdriver. A lessor woman might have thought the man was totally insane and trying to kill her. I immediately realized Smudgie had brought a mouse to bed and let it loose and it was running somewhere under the covers.

Now really, don't you think he should have warned me before assailing the bed beside me?? I don't know what protocol is here but a gentle Honey, get out of bed. There's a mouse would have been nice. Instead I get a screaming maniac in boxer shorts assaulting the matress.

It's going to take a while to get THAT image out of my head. Long story short -- he finally whacked the mouse, threw it out the back door and we all went back to sleep. )(&*$#)&@# YOU SMUDGIE indeed. That's Once.

And for whatever it's worth; the day I find a snake in my cupboards or even in the house is the day I become a City Girl.

3 comments:

  1. That is hilarious! Thanks for the laugh. Look forward to hearing more, and hope you don't mind a total stranger reading and commenting. I saw the Morgan Horse link on your profile, and then to discover your also a rural WY girl...
    Thanks for sharing
    Sarah in MT

    ReplyDelete
  2. and for the record, I've had a snake in the house. It was a little grass snake adn it had actually started crawling up under me as I sat on the floor. Actually I discovered it because I felt something cold touch my leg. It was not a good night. Single at the time, so I had to catch and dispose of it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had one in the house once..in the basement of a previous residence..the cats or the dogs killed it..I was on top of the deep freeze bawling for about an hour. Mice I can handle..sssnakes not so much. :)

    ReplyDelete