Thursday, August 31, 2017

Totality - Awesome!

We watched the total eclipse on August 21, 2017 from our mountain lot.

The eclipse was awesome.  I am so glad I got to see it!

Some of the group walked up the hill to the top where the main road is.  They reported it was packed with eclipse viewers!




Watching the eclipse.  Our friends from New Mexico joined us along with Son #1 and daugher-in-law #1.  Our friend, Steve, brought along all sorts of viewing equipment including special binoculars.  We learned a lot from him including to watch the 'shadows'.



The aspens were throwing waxing and waning shadows of the eclipse!  Who knew?
Best I can figure out the leaves were acting like a peep hole viewer and mimicking the shadow of the moon on the sun's face.




Shadows in the dirt by my chair.




Video of the shadows.




Getting dark!  Seconds to totality.


And there it is! Total eclipse which looks like a sun because my camera wasn't sophisticated enough to capture how it really looked.  AND my time on the camera was about 12 hours off.  Dang need to fix that apparently.



Son #1 with his dog trying to get a camera shot of the total eclipse.

Would I travel to experience this -- yes I would.  I found it AWESOME.

3 comments:

  1. It was awesome.

    I was really skeptical about it, but in the end, I was completely impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had been wondering if you were in the path of the total eclipse. I'm so glad you got to see it. The pattern made by the leaves is spooky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really is a one in a lifetime experience and we in the UK managed to see two over the past twenty years and we could see it, usually when this happens especially with things at night it is cloudy and dark or raining!!! British weather for you. Love the pictures. Hugs, Susie x

    ReplyDelete