Thursday, April 5, 2018

Spring will Arrive...eventually.

I haven't posted for quite some time.  I tore my menscus in my left knee at the end of November and have been pretty much housebound since.  In February they operated and 'cleaned' it up and I'm happy to report it's finally starting to be pain-free and feel much more normal.  

There's only so much you can write about winter from the house!  And because I could not stand for very long, no sewing either as I couldn't cut out my projects.  I'm seriously behind on my crafting.

Yesterday, I was treated to a sure sign of spring.   Several sandhill cranes stopped by and I watched them for a few minutes.  I actually saw one grab a small fish from the stream and gulp it down and had another treat me to the sight of it in flight - more about that further along.
A sandhill crane. (from Wilkepedia)

Sandhill Cranes are named for the sandy rolling hills in Nebraska that flank the Platte River.  They migrate through the plains area of Central United States every year.  They are a sure sign of spring in our area of eastern central Wyoming.

I think they are a rather awkward geeky appearing bird on the ground  with stilt legs and elongated necks.  But in flight!!  Oh my in flight they transform into a master of the sky.  With wingspans ranging from five to almost eight feet, you can see the powerful uplift each wing flap brings to the bird.

The one that took off yesterday was probably only 40 feet from me and I could see the detail of each feather in it's wing and how it interacted with the wing beat in the air, with the span approaching the seven foot mark. Simply gorgeous to watch. 

They only stay for a few days or even hours and they are back on the their migratory journey but I sure enjoy seeing them when they stop in the spring and fall.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment